The Jeziorak lake
The Jeziorak lake is a ribbon lake, the longest, natural lake in Poland, the biggest in the Iława Lakeland and third after the Śniardwy and the Mamry in the “Land of the thousand lakes”. The lake is a part of the Elbląg Canal. There is a rich shore line around the lake which is surrounded by the beautiful forests. The forests and local lakes which spread in the Jeziorak’s neighbourhood are parts of the Iława Lakeland Scenic Park. There are sixteen islands on the lake. In the Wielka Żuława (Great Żuława) – the biggest inland island in Europe, there are the remains of the early-medieval town. In 2012, after over-three-month contest, the Jeziorak lake was recognised as one of the latest seven wonders of Poland by the readers of the travelling magazine “National Geographic Traveler”
The distance from the hotel 0,4km
The town hall
The modern building of the town hall was being built from 1910 to 1912 outside of the old town, but by the high street of the town. One of the most interesting elements of the main part are the exterior staircases by the both sides of the entrance door. They are very representative. The lower part of the staircase is covered mutually by the huge, massive volutes, and each of them are ended with a bas-relief in the form of a lion face with an open mouth. The entrance door is narrowed both sides with wide and half-circled closed ornamented windows. In the roof section there are three attics, and the tower with the terrace and the clock with the helmet are at the top. The internal part of the wings are the arcades in a shape of the basket. In the lower part there are great and wide windows crowned with a basket arch. The town hall is the place where the Town Office resides. In its right wing there is the Tourist Information. Behind the Town Hall there is the stone of the seven-hundred-year Iława, which was located in the memory of the launching of the town in 1305. There is also the old-town moat and the neoclassic hall of the town where the theatre operates.
The distance from the hotel: 0,35 km
The Church of the Transfiguration
It is the oldest remaining building in the town. It was accompanied in the south-eastern angle of the town walls. In the old times the church was peaking over the whole town and it was a part of the town’s fortification. The Church of the Transfiguration was built in the years of 1317-1325 in the place where formerly there was a chapel. In 1550 the tower was built, so was the crypt in 1624. The most beautiful architectural elements are fairly visible: the posts with the gables on the roof, the lower, narrow and long windows, the buttress and the steeple. The massive entrance door with a little light and decorated with the rose is a very characteristic element. It is worth, even for a moment, enter the building and, if possible, sightsee the dungeons, admire the historic altar and organ. The fourteenth-century town walls and the moat are inseparable parts of the church.
The distance from the hotel: 0,25 km
The baroque sculptures
By the Niepodległości street, vis a vis the town park, there are the unique eighteenth-century baroque sculptures: Jupiter’s, Juno’s, Hercules’s, Medusa’s, which represent the rococo style. They come from the palace in Kamieniec which was owned by the house von Finckenstein. About the origin of the sculptures you can read in the sign which is situated between them. They are to be found in the Town Park. This is a vibrant place every year. In the evenings, all who would like to take it easy after work gather there. There are restaurants and pubs. Children can have fun thanks to the fountain which can be found in the central part of the park.
The distance from the hotel: 0,4km
The railway station
In 2006 the building of the railway station entered the Register of objects of cultural heritage. After two-year modernisation, in January 2012 it reopened again. Even for people who travel by car the station is a must-see object of the town. It was built in 1900 in the neoclassical style, from the red brick. Above the main entrance there is a coat of arms of Iława. There are stained glass windows, and in the main hall there are frescos with the coats of arms of the towns and cities or with the plant motives.
The distance from the hotel: 2,7km
The Little Sopot
“The Little Sopot” is the exclusive residential part of Iława which was flourishing in the pre-war time. To the date there are some parts of the tenement houses remaining from that time which are gladly visited by the tourists. The name comes from the building of the hotel “Kormoran” which was designed similarly to the Grand Hotel in Sopot. Besides, to truly stress out the climate of the sea beach, the real sand from Sopot was once brought to the beach resort next to the hotel.
The distance from the hotel: 0,65 km
The Great Żuława
The Great Żuława is not only the biggest island in the Jeziorak lake, but also the biggest inland island in Poland. It is perfectly visible from our hotel, the whole of its surface does not go out of the borders of the town Iława. It is over 82 hectares, and even though it is only a few meters away from the land, the main part of the island is still not used in the touristic point of view. In the summer period there are regular cruises of the ferry.
The distance from the hotel: 1,7 km
The Amphitheatre in Iława was built for the needs of the festival “Złota Tarka” (The Golden Washboard) which takes place yearly up-to-date. It is named after Luis Armstrong. In 2010 thanks to the EU funds it was completely rebuilt including the main stage and its roofing, and in the underground there are now the technical rooms. Currently in the summer period there are many events of various types. “Złota Tarka” is a festival of the traditional jazz which formerly was held in Warsaw. It launched in 1965, in the legendary club “Stodoła” (The Barn), which is named right after the award for the best Polish jazz band. The festival first sounded in Iława in 1994. (the webpage of the festival)
The distance from the hotel: 0,55km
The historic piling up of the water in the current of the river of Iławka came into being in 1870. It is the one of the parts of the whole hydro-technical system of the Canal Iławski. The building consists of the concrete construction which is closed with the four wooden manual locks. Its purpose is to pass the river water towards the Iławskie lake and further into the Drwęca river and the Vistula and enabling the sailing in segment of the Elbląski Canal between Iława, Miłomłyn and the town of Buczyniec. In the neighbourhood of the weir there is also the historic water mill.
The distance from the hotel: 1,3km
Byzantine-Ukrainian Orthodox Church
The building, where the Orthodox church is located now, was built in 1899, and in the history it has survived different aspects. At the beginning there were the headquarters of the local gasworks. It is hard to believe that until 1992 the place changed its function to the depot of the town buses. At that time the conserver gave the expertise suggesting the purpose of the building as devout. The deeds were done and currently the host of the building is The Byzantine-Ukrainian Parish
The distance from the hotel: 0,6km
The theatre “Pasja” (Passion)
The story of “Pasja” is interesting. The building came into being in the years of 1916-1922. Originally, there was the hall of the town, which later was redecorated in the neoclassical style, and since the 1960s there has been a cinema. In 2002 the building entered the Register of objects of cultural heritage.
The distance from the hotel: 0,5km
The castle in Szymbark
There are the ruins of the Gothic castle of the Bishopric of Pomesania from the second half of the fourteenth century. In 1945 the castle was burnt down by the Red Army. Recently, it has been partly rebuilt. The walls with ten towers have remained. The castle in Szymbark is located in the picturesque place and is extremely huge. It is worth to be visited. It is interesting that according to some legends there is a tunnel under the Szymbarskie lake which is connected to Iława.
The distance from the hotel: 9km
The castle of Karnity
The palace-park complex with the neo-Gothic palace which was built in 1856 in the area where a mansion had been burnt during the Polish-Swedish wars. The sprawling landscape park spreads from the Kocioł lake to the eastern direction. The palace is situated in the terrain of the park nearby the Karnickie lake. The palace was built from the red brick based on the stone foundation, and the inside from the clinker brick. The main entrance is ornamented with the arcade and the rich ornamented handrail leading to the terrace upstairs. The silhouette of the building is beefed up by the angular, oktogon tower. There is also the square tower from the side of the lake. Every elevation of the palace is crowned with a pseudo-crenels and the avant-corps, and the peaks of the building are with the pinnacles. The architecture of the palace refers to the Romantic period castle which is emphasized by the formerly situated fortifications with the bastions in the park. On the hill, in the southern part of the park there is the cemetery of the former owners.
The distance from the hotel: 26km
Siemiany – the lake of the Jasne
The extraordinary microclimate, the concerts of the known bands and the beautiful lake with small islands. Siemiany is very often visited by Cezary Pazura and the musician Wojciech Waglewski from Voo Voo. Siemiany is located in the one of the most interesting corners of Poland, in the picturesque landscape park by the Jeziorak lake near Iława. Nearby, there are numerous nature reserves. One of the is the Jasne lake where the transparency of them water reaches 15 meters deep. Walking through the nearby forests the rarely species of birds can be seen, such as capercaillies or white-tailed eagles.
The distance from the hotel: 18,5km